Monday, June 23, 2008

A Small Victory

Dear dedicated reader,

I’ve decided that I like going to the staff room in order to do work. It’s quiet in there, and the soothing sound of the other teachers speaking Gujarati to one another is a nice backdrop to my own study of the language.

The room itself is very simple: a long blockish wood table sits in the center of the room, surrounded by the similarly made wood tables. Furniture here is not delicate; it is made to last.

Today when I came in, Vanisha and Priya were already sitting there. Vanisha’s research includes shadowing the teachers so she can align the summer program that she is designing with what they are doing in school, so building relationships is important. She has the distinct advantage of speaking Gujarati fluently, and has been extremely helpful with my study, verifying or correcting my pronunciation or vocabulary. I laughed and said hello and took my seat at the other end of the table.

Copying over my letters, I listened while she conversed with them. Periodically, they would break into English for my benefit, but the conversation took place mostly in Gujarati. It must be such a relief to make themselves understood completely, something that I hope to eventually develop the ability to do with them.

Towards the end of an hour spent in this way, the math teacher who usually grills me with questions about where I live, how I live, and who will arrange my marriage broke into English.

“We are very much respecting you all. You are coming here to say hello to us, to sit with us, and you are wearing Indian clothing.” She turned to Vanisha and continued in Gujarati.

“She says that last year, the girls who were here for the summer did not do these things and wore Western clothing and that is why the students did not respect them.”

The teacher nodded at this faithful translation of what she had said. “You see, there should be some difference between the teachers and the students, for respect.” I nodded, having heard the same thing from the principal. I was beginning to understand, having noted the students’ behavior when I acted like a teacher versus when I was acting as myself on the weekend or in the market. “This is why we are liking you. You have this difference.”

The teachers offered, furthermore, to help me with my Gujarati anytime. They said the best way to learn was to practice with them. I definitely agree.

What a relief.

Best,
Cat

No comments: